Health Blog: Solutions & Wellness Tips
Physical Therapy First Cuts Treatment Time from 66 to 12 Days
The United States in experiencing a health care crisis. Certainly one of the burdens on consumers is long wait times before and/or between treatments. Some patients have to wait several days or even weeks before they see a doctor or specialist. One hospital, Virginia Mason, in Seattle, has a novel approach that significantly cuts down on treatment time. What is their approach – "for movement disorders, see a physical therapist first."
As noted in this story:
"'This is one of the reasons health care has become unaffordable in the United States is that we are wasting time and we're wasting valuable medical assets,' said Dr. Robert Mecklenburg.
The hospital wasted no time treating Beth Lauderdale. She was getting physical therapy for severe back pain just two hours after she phoned in.
'I called at 8:30 and they said they had a 10:20 appointment,' Lauderdale said.
Read the entire story by clicking here.
Here is yet another example where seeing a physical therapist first can save you time, money and needless suffering.
June 17, 2009Back to Health Blog
- Sleep Patterns, Low Back Pain And Burnout Are All Interrelated
- Physical Therapists Care About Exercise Habits, Diet & Alcohol Intake
- Modifying Prescription Drug Usage May Reduce The Risk Of Falling
- Going For Short Walks Can Improve Blood Sugar & Blood Pressure
- Ankle Sprains Increase the Risks of Other Injuries But PT Reduces It
- Healing Will Take Time & Physical Therapy Can Assist With Recovery
- Physical Therapy & Steroid Shots May Both Benefit For Shoulder Pain
- Having an MRI Unnecessarily May Increase Healthcare Costs
- Physical Therapy May Be The Best Option for Knee Osteoarthritis
- Adequate Sleep Is Integral To Athletic Recovery